Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

This Christmas, far away in an Islamic land, I've thought more about the Savior and the meaning of Christmas than perhaps I ever have. I've been singing Christmas songs for weeks, driving my buddies crazy I think, and in spite of the ongoing grind and lack of a Christmas season and all that entails, the world has acquired a special sheen for me recently. On Christmas Eve we went out to work before dawn and sat in a spot where we could see the whole city for most of the morning. Watching the sunrise, hearing the call to prayer and seeing the city come to life was a Christmas I will never forget. Seeing a small elder sister holding the hand of her toddler brother as they navigate the bazaar made me smile to think of my own children. The Afghan people amaze me in their ingenuity and industry. Despite the nearly unbearable hardships they face every day, they meet it with courage and carry on the best they can. They and we who do not know such troubles have all been greatly blessed. With the revelator I pray "Come, Lord Jesus, Come." Come and bring the day when the lion lies down with the lamb and we beat our swords into ploughshares.

No comments:

Post a Comment